At FMNF we have compiled information to help you and your small business when it comes to knowing what fabrics are exempt from testing. Also providing information & resources to you so that you can go straight to the source for all of your small business needs. Updated January 22, 2022.
DBP, Poly-Spandex, Bullet, Liverpool, all meet or exceed CPSC requirements. If you are unsure if a specific fabric is exempt please use the resources below to get the information you need.
For further information regarding fabrics that are/are not exempt please email email@example.com
Most FMNF fabrics meet the CPSC Safety requirements and are exempt from flammability testing, because they are plain surface (no raised pile) and weigh over 88 g/sq.m (2.6oz/sq.yard). 'Raised pile' fabrics like velvet, corduroy, french terry** etc. require flammability testing.
Fabric is exempted from lead testing unless it has a coated or painted decoration that can be scratched off - think heat transfers or heavy paint on top of the fabric. If you run your hand over the fabric and feel a bump when you get to the decoration, it will require testing. FMNF very rarely sells fabrics that are decorated this way. All fabric that is dyed or screen printed where the dyes are set in the fabric fibers are exempt from lead testing.
How Does all of this work for your small business?
Without going into too much detail: If you are a Small Batch Manufacturer (SBM) you will need to offer CPSC certificates for your products. Your first step will be to request a (free) SBM number at www.saferproducts.gov so you can create your own certificates. There are specific CPSC exemption numbers you can then list on your certificate for our fabrics that are exempt from flammability testing. If a fabric is not exempt (like velvet, corduroy or french terry with loops showing when worn), you will either need to get it tested yourself or, if a Letter of Compliance (LOC) is available from FMNF, you can use the information provided to create your own certificate. For more information, please study the resources below.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- There is a wonderful, supportive Facebook group that is dedicated to all aspects of compliance: US Product Safety Compliance
- The CPSC website can be overwhelming, we found this paired down document helpful: Requirements for Textiles and Apparel. Please note this pdf is from 2015 so make sure the information provided is up to date (as of right now, June 2019, it is).
- Misty Henry provides wonderful guides for SBM as well as individual compliance consulting: Misty Henry Product Safety and Consulting Services, LLC
If you have further questions regarding the FMNF compliance program, please contact us here:
FMNF / Product Safety Compliance.
162 Industrial Park Dr, Suite F
Hollister, MO 65672
*Please note that, since we sell fabric (considered a component) and not a clothing manufacturer, under CFR we are not required to provide CPSC certificates. We will at our discretion test certain non-exempt fabrics and offer Letters of Compliance as a courtesy to the small business owners that shop with us.
**French terry is exempt from flammability testing when the loops are not visible when worn. I.e. if you make a cardigan and the loops show when it is on the body and drapes open, it is not exempt from testing. If you make shorts and no loops can be seen, it does not require testing.
The information on this page, while composed to the best of our knowledge, is provided only as a courtesy to our customers. We are a fabric retailer and do not offer legal advice. We urge you to consult with a legal professional, compliance specialist or both for all matters related to product safety.
INFO ABOUT OUR ECO-FRIENDLY-GREEN PUL:
Our PUL fabric is Eco-Friendly-Green & 100% Made in the USA. There is nothing more exciting than to know that our lamination process is "green" and safe to our environment and our families. Our PUL fabric starts with lightweight polyester knit interlock, that we knit right here in the USA. Our polyester fabric is then paired with a thin layer of 1mil polyurethane lamination. These two are bonded together with a hot melt adhesive system that is solvent free, no VOC's (volatile organic chemicals) and it is friendly to our environment.
All fabrics sold at Forget Me Not Fabric are intended for children's items are exempt from or compliant with CPSIA regulations.
Our Eco-Friendly Green PUL meets all CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission)
Does not contain lead or heavy metals
Does not contain BPA
Does not contain phthalates
Does not contain PVCs, diisocynates, chlorine, or migratable plasticizers
Does not contain latex
Things you can make with our Eco-Friendly Green PUL:
- rain coats - rain capes - ponchos -jackets
- stroller covers
- baby diapers - pocket diapers - all-in-one diapers
- animal diapers - animal incontinence pads - dog diapers
- dog raincoats
- waterproof mattress pads - reusable water resistant pads - crib mattress covers
- waterproof diapers - diaper covers
- diaper pail liners
- wet bags
- changing pads
- feminine hygiene products - menstral pads - mama cloth
- adult diapers, personal use only.
Our Eco-Friendly Green PUL is Made in the USA. 73% polyester, 27% polyurethane. GSM 160.
Wash Instructions: Machine wash in warm or hot water using regular or HE laundry detergent. Avoid the use of harsh stain removal, vinegar or bleach products. Tumble dry on low or lay flat to dry. Do not iron or dry clean.
MORE HELPFUL INFORMATION REGARDING OUR ECO-GREEN-PUL
- All 100% USA made and 100% USA certification chain of custody in hand.
- We have been in business for 16 years. We use a USA based supplier with over 50 years experience in the industry.
- Our chain of custody starts with the yarn supplier, who has been spinning poly yarn since 1932. Our knitter has been knitting this fabric since 1943 and our amazing printer has been printing since 1938. Our laminator began laminating PUL in 1955 and has sold millions to the US military.
- We do not have a delamination policy, because one is not needed. We have had zero delamination issues. We do not purchase from China, nor will we ever. Our supplier has over 50 years in the business and has proven successful with quality PUL.
- Redacted USA 100% Supply Chain Certificates available upon request.
- Our Green PUL is 100% inherently safe and certified by the manufacturers that are located in the USA and only use approved ingredients.